Beverly: 1st Week as a Student Mom

Dear Beverly,

You have discovered your fist!! You stuck it in your mouth all day to comfort yourself. I couldn't have been a prouder mama ;)



This past week was existing as we learned to navigate BYU together! Tuesday was the first day of school so I dressed you up to match me.


We spent all afternoon at the family friendly study room in the BYU library. I was watching Hannah's daughter, Aria. She is 1 1/2. Hannah watches you in the library Monday  and Wednesday mornings. It makes going to class a lot easier. On Wednesday you cried the whole time I was in class, poor Hannah! However, today I planned it (and then crossed my fingers) so that you would sleep the whole time I was gone. What I did was try to keep you awake all morning while I got ready and then I fed you right before leaving the house so that you would fall asleep on my walk over to campus. It worked!

I love all my classes and professors! I am taking a family finance class online which is already very interesting and teaching me a lot! Our final project in the class that we work on all semester is to buy a home. You come with a scenario, it's best if it is your own at the time you will buy your first home, and use what you have learned in class to finance a home. It was fun to think about our future and where we will be at in 10years, of course a lot can and will change but it was still a fun exercise.

Today for my multicultural education class I watched a TED talk by a women from Nigeria about the "Danger of the Single  Story". She explained that a single story is portraying a people as on thing over and over again until they become that one thing. In a book or on TV we often are told the story of Africa as being a place of poverty and war. Such stereotypes are not untrue but rather they are incomplete. As are all single stories. We have to be careful about what we hear and listen to and recognize that there is always more to the story.

Besides the two classes I already mentioned I am also taking a Utah history class, an intro to psychology class and a North American geography class.  My professor for the geography class is Canadian and super funny! He spends a lot of time on Canada which I am grateful for.

I love school and I love learning! It hasn't been as difficult as I thought to do my school work with you. You are such a good baby. Haha well now that I think of it, on Thursday you were very fussy and wouldn't calm down. Daddy and I were planning to go to a yoga class at 6pm and Auntie Star was babysitting. At 5:30pm your dad still wasn't home and I had attempted to make pizza dough twice and failed. (I had promised Star dinner in exchange for child care) The house was a mess, I was hot and sweaty and you were screaming and crying. I had called and texted your dad several times asking where he was but he wasnt answering (he was in a lecture hall with no service). The things I said in the text were not very nice and by the time he got home I was VERY frustrated! Guess what he did? Well to start he wasnt at all mad about the rude and irrational things I said, rather he calmly cleaned everything up and told me how sorry he was for not being there for me earlier. Your daddy is a good man Beverly and I love him a lot! We sure are lucky :)


Love, Mom.

Comments

Popular Posts